CITY COUNCIL AGENDA
JANUARY 20, 2009, 6:00 P.M.
Details follow the jump….
Call to Order
City Council Members
JOINT CITY COUNCIL/REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY CLOSED SESSION AGENDA
Redevelopment Agency Members
This is the opportunity to address the Council or Redevelopment Agency on any matter scheduled for Closed Session.
REDEVELOPMENT AGENCY CLOSED SESSION:
Closed Session Pursuant to:
1- Government Code Section 54956.8 – Conference with Real Property Negotiators/Property: APN
252-193-004. Agency Negotiator: Brad Dunlap. Negotiating Parties: Porterville Redevelopment Agency and Huu S. Tieu and Martin F. Loeffler. Under Negotiation: Terms and Price.
(During Closed Session, the Redevelopment Agency meeting will adjourn to a meeting of the PortervilleCity Council.)
Closed Session Pursuant to:
1- Government Code Section 54956.8 – Conference with Real Property Negotiators/Property: APNs 261-130-001, 302-110-054 and 253-160-032. Agency Negotiator: John Lollis and Brad Dunlap.
Negotiating Parties: City of Porterville and Porterville Fair Board. Under Negotiation: Terms and Price.
2- Government Code Section 54956.8 – Conference with Real Property Negotiators/Property: APNs 261-130-001 and 253-160-032. Agency Negotiator: John Lollis and Brad Dunlap. Negotiating Parties: City of Porterville and State of California. Under Negotiation: Terms and Price.
3- Government Code Section 54956.8 – Conference with Real Property Negotiators/Property: APN 269-060-023. Agency Negotiator: Baldo Rodriguez. Negotiating Parties: City of Porterville and F.C. Griggs, Jr. & Sons, a Co-Partnership. Under Negotiation: Terms and Price.
4- Government Code Section 54956.8 – Conference with Real Property Negotiators/Property: APN 268-110-005. Agency Negotiator: Baldo Rodriguez. Negotiating Parties: City of Porterville and California Ranch Company, a Limited Partnership. Under Negotiation: Terms and Price.
5- Government Code 54956.9(c) – Conference with Legal Counsel – Anticipated Litigation – One Case.
7:00 P.M. RECONVENE OPEN SESSION
REPORT ON ANY COUNCIL/AGENCY ACTION TAKEN IN CLOSED SESSION
Pledge of Allegiance Led by Council Member Pedro Martinez
City Manager’s Featured Project
Project Homeless Connect
This is the opportunity to address the Council on any matter of interest, whether on the agenda or not.
Please address all items not scheduled for public hearing at this time.
All Consent Calendar Items are considered routine and will be enacted in one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these matters unless a request is made, in which event the item will be removed from the Consent Calendar.
1. City Council Minutes of March 4, 2008 and November 18, 2008
2. Budget Adjustment for the 2008-09 Fiscal Year
Re: Considering approval of a budget adjustment allocating $53,864.77 received by the City in reimbursement from the State and Federal Governments for overtime incurred on three fire incidents last year to the Fire Department Training Classroom for completion of the project.
3. Claim – Elizabeth Medrano
Re: Considering rejection of a claim in an amount of $500 for wheel damage that the claimant alleges occurred when she struck a pothole while driving eastbound on N. Grand Avenue on September 17, 2008.
4. Claim – Michele Ramirez
Re: Considering rejection of a claim in an amount of $1,329.53 for damages to her home which the claimant alleges occurred when police officers used force to enter her residence on October 11, 2008.
5. Claim – Ruby Zavala
Re: Considering rejection of a claim in an amount of $1,856.29 for wheel damage that the claimant alleges occurred when she struck a utility lid while driving eastbound on Olive Ave. on Dec. 4, 2008.
6. Award of Contract – On-Call Consultant Services for Preparation of Grant Applications Re: Authorizing the negotiation of a contract with California Consulting, LLC of Fresno for services consisting of the application for grant monies exclusively for ballfield development through Proposition 84, Major League Baseball Tomorrow Fund, and the California State Parks Land and
Water Conservation Fund.
7. Award Contract – Cab & Chassis with Dual Rear Wheels
Re: Awarding contract to Downtown Ford of Sacramento in the amount of $24,229.94 for the purchase of a new dual rear wheel cab and chassis truck for the City’s Solid Waste Division.
8. Quad Knopf Professional Service Agreement – Jaye Street Extension Project (Montgomery Avenue to Gibbons Avenue)
Re: Authorizing the execution of a Service Agreement with Quad Knopf at a fee of $99,480 for services which include the completion and/or modification of plans, specifications, and hydrology/drainage report for the project consisting of the extension of Jaye Street from Montgomery Avenue to Gibbons Avenue.
9. Approval of a Southern California Edison Application and a “Cost Plus” Contract for a New Electrical Service to Municipal Water Well No. 31
Re: Authorizing the City Engineer to sign the Southern California Edison application and “Cost Plus” Contract for a new electrical service to Municipal Water Well No. 31 (Pumping Plant Facility).
10. Approval of Grant Deed – Conveyance of Land to City of Porterville from County of Tulare
Re: Accepting the grant deed conveying property to the City of Porterville for the purpose of transferring ownership of a 40 acre flood control basin and an outlying parcel generally located north of Mulberry Avenue and west of Plano Street.
11. Acceptance of Appraised Value of Right-of-Way for Property Located at APN 268-110-018 – Nicholson and Smee, LLC – Scranton/Indiana Street Project
Re: Accepting the appraised value of 10,521 square feet of right-of-way needed for the Scranton/Indiana Street project, and authorizing payment in the amount of $13.500 to Nicholson and Smee LLC after completion of escrow.
12. Ratification of Expenditure – Relocation of Electrical Power Poles for the Indiana Street and Scranton Avenue Reconstruction Project
Re: Approval of an expenditure of $38,466.45 for the relocation of four power poles on the south side of Scranton Avenue to allow for the widening and reconstruction, and authorizing the City Engineer to continue discussions with Southern California Edison regarding the financial responsibilities associated with the pole relocations.
13. Reject All Bids and Re-Advertise – Fire Station No. 2 Classroom HVAC Project
Re: Rejection of all bids for the Fire Station No. 2 Classroom HVAC Project, and authorizing staff to re-advertise for bids for the project consisting of the installation of four HVAC units, duct work and all appropriate appurtenances for the new Fire Station Classroom Building.
14. Collection of Statewide Building Standards Fees
Re: Informational report regarding a fee that the City must collect effective January 1, 2009, on behalf of the California Building Standards Commission, from building permit applicants based on building valuation to fund the development of statewide building standards as mandated by SB 1473.
15. Status Report – Developer Impact Fees
Re: Acceptance of a Status Report on Developer Impact Fees for the Fiscal Year ended June 30, 2008, pursuant to Government Code Section 66006 (b) (1).
16. Approve Concession License with AYSO Region 315
Re: Approval of a Concession License with American Youth Soccer Organization Region 315 for the 2009 Sports Complex year.
17. Study Committee Report – Formation of Mosquito Abatement District in Southeastern Tulare County
Re: Informational report regarding a recent meeting of the Mosquito Abatement Study Committee.
18. Approval of Council Member’s Travel to Washington D.C.
Re: Considering approval of the proposed out-of-state travel scheduled for February 2-6, 2009 for Council Member Felipe to participate in the Tulare County Association of Governments annual trip to Washington D.C. for the purpose of meeting with U.S. legislators and officials to address transportation issues impacting Tulare County.
A Council Meeting Recess Will Occur at 8:30 p.m., or as Close to That Time as Possible
19. Request to Allow Re-Submittal for a Conditional Use Permit 4-2008 to Upgrade an Existing Type
20, Beer and Wine Off-Sale License to a Type 21, Beer, Wine and Distilled Spirits Off-Sale License and Letter of Public Convenience or Necessity for an Existing Mini-Mart
Re: Considering the request for an existing convenience market located at 809 East Putnam Avenue.
20. Conditional Use Permit 9-2008 – Tom O’Sullivan, Plano Properties LLC
Re: Considering the adoption of a resolution approving a Conditional Use Permit to allow for the construction of a new 3,600± square foot convenience market, gasoline/fuel islands with a matching canopy and car wash located at the southwest corner of Henderson Avenue and Plano Street.
21. Modification to Conditional Use Permit 11-83 – to Allow Sale of Beer, Wine and Distilled Spirits
Re: Considering the adoption of a resolution approving a request to modify Conditional Use Permit 11-83 to allow for the off-sale beer, wine and distilled spirits license for the Vallarta Supermarket located in the Eastridge Plaza at the southwest corner of Olive Avenue and Plano Street.
22. Request for a Conditional Use Permit 10-2008 to Allow for an Eighteen (18) Unit Duplex Development on Three (3) Adjoining Parcels Located at 1492 and 1482 West Tomah Avenue
Re: Considering the approval of a Conditional Use Permit to allow development of an eighteen unit duplex development, on three adjoining parcels located at 1492 and 1482 West Tomah Avenue.
23. City Council Study Session to Review the Latest Developments with the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance Update and Provide Comment on the Proposed Standards with Specific Attention to the Downtown and Airport Overlay Zones
Re: A continuation of the study session held on December 16, 2008 focusing specifically on the Downtown and Airport Overlay Zones.
24. City Council Member Request to Consider Alternatives for a Planning Agency Separate from the City Council
Re: Consideration of alternatives for a Planning Agency separate from the City Council.
25. Discussion on the Possibility of a Change to the Zoning Ordinance to Allow the Keeping of Racing, Homing, and Sporting Pigeons as Household Pets in the City of Porterville
Re: Consideration of a request to change the city’s Zoning Ordinance.
Adjourn the City Council Meeting to a meeting of the Porterville Public Improvement Corporation.
PORTERVILLE PUBLIC IMPROVEMENT CORPORATION
Roll Call: Directors/President
PUBLIC IMPROVEMENT SCHEDULED MATTER
PIC-1. Election of Officers – Public Improvement Corporation
Re: Approval of the election of officers of the Corporation in accordance with Article III, Section 2 of the Bylaws.
Adjourn the Porterville Public Improvement Corporation Meeting to a Meeting of the Porterville City Council.
Any Closed Session Items not completed prior to 7:00 p.m. will be considered at this time.
ADJOURNMENT – to the meeting of February 3, 2009 at 6:00 p.m.
It shall be the policy of the City Council to complete meetings, including closed sessions, by 11:00 p.m. unless, upon consensus, Council elects to continue past the adjournment hour.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and the California Ralph M. Brown Act, if you need special assistance to participate in this meeting, or to be able to access this agenda and documents in the agenda packet, please contact the Office of City Clerk at (559) 782-7464. Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the City to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to this meeting and/or provision of an appropriate alternative format of the agenda and documents in the agenda packet.
Materials related to an item on this Agenda submitted to the City Council after distribution of the Agenda packet are available for public inspection during normal business hours at the Office of City Clerk, 291 N. Main Street, Porterville, CA 93257, and on the City’s website at www.ci.porterville.ca.us.